[Asterisk-Users] FXS or VOIP

Jason Becker jason at coalescentsystems.ca
Wed Jan 11 16:44:01 MST 2006

Philip Edelbrock wrote:

> Jim Freeze wrote:
> [...]
>
>  > So for 5 phones, I would need 2 cards. And, the O'Reilly book says that
>  > I should not put 2 cards in the same box, so I would need another
> computer.
>  > [...]
>

> Whoa, I'm confused.  Can't you use as many cards as you have slots?
> We've got just one 4-port card, but I've always assumed it was just a
> matter of purchasing and installing more to get 8 or 12 lines?

It's a best practice to minimize interrupts and therefore it's usually
not recommended to use more than 2 TDM400Ps in a system. In mid-density
configuration you'd want to consider using a channel bank or a telephony
card like Digium's TDM2400P (or a VoIP gateway).

Regards,

--
Jason Becker
Director & CEO