[Asterisk-Users] FXS or VOIP

Colin Anderson ColinA at landmarkmasterbuilder.com
Wed Jan 11 16:21:09 MST 2006

>What about fax machines working over a PRI T1
>line?  Run FXS ports to each fax machine and the
>TDM card will convert the digital T1 to analog
>for faxing?

>I have no POTS lines, just a T1 (PRI soon if I
>find out I can use asterisk for regular POTS-type
>faxing).

I tried that and wasn't happy with the results (TE110 -> TDM400). There's
some frame slippage involved as soon as you hit the PCI bus that's enough to
make faxing unstable (your box might fare better tho). It's small, but
enough to cause problems.  In my dialplan, I use spandsp to rx the fax, and
I have an "exception list" of known fax machines that have a problem tying
up to spandsp, and if an inbound fax machine's callerid = an entry on the
list, Asterisk forwards the call to a regular fax plugged into an Adtran
channel bank. Works Good. 50K+ faxes from May to Dec 31,05 with only a 1%
failure rate.

I maintain the exception list by having a script that examines the generated
PDF after fax RX, and if it's less than 46 bytes, it's a bad fax, and it
emails me / SMS's me about it. That way, as soon as a bad fax comes in I
know about it, and sometimes I can be fast enough to update the exception
list between retries, so the remote fax doesn't generate an error for the
sender.