[Asterisk-Users] FXS or VOIP

Jim Freeze asterisk at freeze.org
Wed Jan 11 14:27:36 MST 2006

On 1/11/06, William Boehlke <william.boehlke at signate.com> wrote:

> You can save a little money with analog phones however if that saving is not
> an issue business class VoIP phones from providers like Polycom and Cisco
> have more features and much of the time better call quality.

Thanks William for the response.
That is good news about the phone quality.

>From what I have read, I think the overall cost would still be cheaper
with a voip solution, even if the phones are more.

A 4 line FXS card is about $3-400 (I think). If I understand this correctly,
even if I have only 4 lines incoming, I need an FXS homerun to each phone.
So for 5 phones, I would need 2 cards. And, the O'Reilly book says that
I should not put 2 cards in the same box, so I would need another computer.

I was hoping a single computer could handle up to 10 voip phones. Am I
deluding myself?

Jim

--
Jim Freeze