RE: [Asterisk-Users] Echo on phones...

Colin Anderson ColinA at landmarkmasterbuilder.com
Wed Jan 11 11:53:46 MST 2006

>     I am having a bit of a problem with several phones (Polycom 601
> and Aastra 9133i).  I have a new installation in a brand new office.
> The office is bare and there is a lot of echo.  This causes all the
> phones on the office to have a very audible echo.  I know it is not
> really a hardware problem, but is there a setting on the phones to
> handle this kind of echo?

Basically, turn down the gain on your mic. Do a test call to yourself, and
crank it down to the minimum. The echo should be alleviated. Then, bump it
up bit by bit until the volume is acceptable. You should be able to find a
balance between echo and mic volume.

I had the same problem with loudmouth salespeople on Snom 190, the phone
would pick up echo from the room. On the 190, I eventually turned down the
mic volume to 2 on a scale of 8. I believe this is set low by default on the
latest firmware rev for the 190.

hth