[Asterisk-Users] 32 E1's in one Asterisk 'box'

janvb at caselaboratories.com janvb at caselaboratories.com
Tue Jan 10 14:22:40 MST 2006

>Contemplating about thirtytwo E1 lines?
>Perhaps it's time to start thinking about asterisk support for PDH or
>SDH...
>In this case, two 34Mb (OC1) boards would do nicely.

I know of boards that will enable me to mount 32 E1's into Asterisk
assuming I write the drivers for them (DSP based cPCI) - that is not the
real problem. The issue is that I need to split the traffic over several
PC's to reduce the loss if one goes down - redundancy etc. But, I still
need this to act as if it was 'one box'. An ideal design seen from my
point would be 4 PC's with 8 E1's each and when 2 extra PC's just for
PABX call control etc (one standby for the other).

I was kond-of hoping this had been solved, but I assume I am wrong???

Didn't Digium work on an OC1/E3 board ? Plenty of framer's on a chip so
it is fully possible to make decent priced E3/PCI etc.

Jan