[Asterisk-Users] MTU and Voice Delay (latency??)

Geoff Manning gmanning at zoom.com
Tue Jan 10 07:22:41 MST 2006

Rich Adamson wrote:
> Be carefull with vlan assumptions. If two or more vlans exist across
> multiple switches, how do you know if another vlan hasn't consumed all
> available resources leaving little (or none) for your phone vlan?
>
> Hint: look for "discarded packets in or out" on the physical ports of
> those switches in the path.

There are two VLANS:

1st VLAN has port 1 going to SDSL modem, ports 2-9 are connected to the
phones

2nd VLAN has port 10 going to PIX (then to ADSL modem) and the rest of the
ports to the desktop.

Unfortunately the reporting and statistics on the #com switch 2226 PWR plus
is somewhat limited. I can't find any discarded packets.

I can plug one of the phones directly into the back of the SDSL modem to see
if the problem goes away for that one user. That would take the switch out
of the equation.

Thanks,
Geoff