[Asterisk-Users] MTU and Voice Delay (latency??)

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Tue Jan 10 07:02:05 MST 2006

> >> Our users are experiencing some unacceptable delay when trying to
> >> have a conversation. The delay is so noticeable that they keep
> >> stepping on each others words and resort to calling the customers
> >> via cell phone.
> >
> > We've had some pretty bad delay in the past when customers have been
> > using file sharing (p2p) and saturating bandwidth etc.
> >
> > Check if they are, and if so, get them to change their settings to not
> > use 500% of their connection (yes some do this).
>
> The only devices on this VLAN are the 8 Cisco 7960 phones.

Be carefull with vlan assumptions. If two or more vlans exist across
multiple switches, how do you know if another vlan hasn't consumed all
available resources leaving little (or none) for your phone vlan?

Hint: look for "discarded packets in or out" on the physical ports of
those switches in the path.