[Asterisk-Users] to another country

Rusty Dekema rdekema at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 19:10:05 MST 2006

There are many ways in which you could do this, but here is one of the
simpler and cheaper ways to do it:

You and your friend would each buy what is known as an "FXS to SIP Gateway,"
such as the Grandstream Handytone 286, which is available for $45. (You may
wish to  use a slightly more common and more expensive gateway such as the
Sipura/Linksys/Cisco SPA-1001, available for $60, although I am not sure if
there would be much difference in your situation.)

An FXS to SIP gateway is a device that has a phone jack into which you can
plug an analog telephone set, and an ethernet jack that you connect to a
network. You would configure your gateway to communicate over the network
(using SIP) with a computer running Asterisk. Your friend would configure
his gateway to do the same. The computer running Asterisk could be located
at your residence, at your friend's residence, or at a 3rd location.

In the Asterisk configuration files, you could assign a telephone number to
each gateway. You could, for example, have your number be "1" or "1000" and
your friend's number be "2" or "1001". Thus, you would dial 2 (or 1001) on
your analog phone to call your friend, and likewise your friend would dial 1
(or 1000) on his analog phone to call you.

If you wanted to, you could even configure your gateway in such a manner
that when you pick up the analog telephone, it will immediately place a call
via the Asterisk machine to your friend's phone, without you having to dial
anything at all (like the mythical White House Hotline to the Kremlin), and
vice-versa. (This feature has to be supported by your SIP to FXS adapter,
and I don't know which adapters do and do not support this off the top of my
head.)

Of course you can create a more complicated setup than that. If you do not
want to have a separate telephone set on which to call your friend, you
could plug your telephone set (or all the telephones in your residence* for
that matter) into the FXS gateway that I mentioned earlier, and then buy
another device known as an FXO Card or a SIP to FXO gateway, and plug that
device into your actual telephone line from the telephone company.

You could then program Asterisk with the following sequence:

1) If you dial the number 1001 then place the call to your friend over the
Internet using the Asterisk machine, otherwise:

2) If you dial any other number, place the call via the FXO gateway and your
phone line.

There are of course many ways to set this up, and you can make as simple or
as complicated a system as you like.

-Rusty

*If you have many phones, you would need to make sure that the FXO gateway
or card has enough power to ring them all; this is done by adding the REN
(ringer equivalence number) which should be printed on all the phones
together and comparing it to the maximum REN rating of the gateway or card.