[Asterisk-Users] MTU and Voice Delay (latency??)

Terry H. Gilsenan thg at interoil.com
Mon Jan 9 17:51:27 MST 2006

pdhales at optusnet.com.au wrote:
> We had phones in Perth hooked up to an Asterisk box in Melbourne, and
> the call was fine - so I know it can be done.
>
> PaulH
>
>     How far (physically) is the Asterisk server location from the
>     location of the phones? Have you tried pinging the Asterisk server
>     from the network to which the phones are connected?
>
>     As a rule of thumb, If the two sites are within 2500 miles of each
>     other and the network connection between them is working properly,
>     the round trip time for a 64 byte ping should be less than 100 ms,
>     the round trip time should not vary from one ping to another by more
>     than 2-5 ms (typical), and there should be virtually no dropped
>     packets (well under 0.1%).
>
>     If your network does not meet these standards, then it may well be
>     the cause of your problems. In that case, if you e-mail me a
>     traceroute from the phone location to the Asterisk location as well
>     as the output of a ping from the phone location to the Asterisk
>     location (preferably including at least 100 repetitions), I will
>     take a look at it and let you know what I think.

I have phones in the US conencted to and Asterisk box in .AU, the ping
time averages 230ms, (ADSL at both ends) and the call quality is just fine.

The problem will be if packets are being dropped, of if one or other of
the end-points is getting saturated. I have Linux/IPTables with ToS and
QoS giving voice data the highest priority.

===[Disclaimer]===
This electronic transmission, including any attachments, is confidential, may contain privileged information and should be read or retained only by the intended recipient. If you received this message in error, please delete it from your system and notify the sender immediately. Any review, dissemination or other use of this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited.