[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk Jobs

Hans Witvliet hwit at a-domani.nl
Sun Jan 8 15:50:24 MST 2006

On Sun, 2006-01-08 at 13:58 +0400, Jean-Michel Hiver wrote:
> Douglas Garstang a écrit :
> Actually, I've found Asterisk to be a great experience. Not so much
> because of the product itself (which is already great), but because of
> the level of accessibility and the community around it.
>
> Asterisk drastically lowers barriers of entry in the field of commercial
> telephony systems. Besides, the wiki, the mailing list and the IRC
> channels make it relatively easy to get started with the system. This
> "no-pointy-clicky no-brainer interface" actually allows you to gain more
> in-depth knowledge about telephony and VoIP.

I can second that.
The (possible) impact of * on the pbx market could be enormous.
I worked for nearly two decades for the largest telco manufacturer,
and have seen some of the limitations a large company implies.
With pbx's, on small systems had just basic predefined dial-plans with
limmited features. On large systems, customers had to pay dearly  for
any add-on feaures. Much was possible, but as there was no paying
customer, lots of things never left the design-department.

Personnaly, i would dare compare it with the impact Linux has on the
UNIX-community. It used to be closed, limited and high priced. Now,
distro's come with truck full of tools and applications one could only
dream of.

On *, it seems that your imagination is the only limitation.
You ARE capable of changing the behaviour yourself.
(Or actually you have to define the entire behaviour ;-))

Besides OOo, i think it is the best open-source product...
Perhaps it has little impact when looking for a specifc job, but you
shurely can learn a lot!

HW
--
pgp-id: 926EBB12
pgp-fingerprint: BE97 1CBF FAC4 236C 4A73  F76E EDFC D032 926E BB12