[Asterisk-Users] Fax baud rate

Remco Barende asterisk at barendse.to
Sun Jan 8 13:33:23 MST 2006

yes i know, it's not

i have been battling with this problem myself

I thought of a theoretical solution (but I have zero programming skills
which means no possibility to code / try it) :
record the sound fax machines make when negotiating (specifically the
part where they try to negotiate anything above 9600 baud) and make a
provision in asterisk (an extra letter added to the Dial command?) that
will make Asterisk monitor the channel and listen for the fax nego sounds
and have Asterisk distort or mute the audio. This way all fax machines
would be forced to lower their speeds.

I suspect that such a solution would greatly improve reliability for
faxing without the need for drastic changes in the way asterisk works. If
you could lower the speed further down to 4800 or even 2400 baud that
might even be an interesting option. Instead of faxing at 9600 or 14k4
through a normal (expensive) landline it could be cheaper to fax at 2400
baud via a voip line depending on where you need to fax to.

None of my fax machines are able to reduce their TX/RX speeds, if any
devices capable of capping the speed it would be a nice addition to the
wiki, I would instantly buy some all-in-one machines that could do that