[Asterisk-Users] GSM Gateway / Terminal for sale

Eric "ManxPower" Wieling eric at fnords.org
Sun Jan 8 08:54:18 MST 2006

JCC wrote:
> I don't get it. What is the advantage of using a GSM gateway? VOIP calls are
> pretty inexpensive as they are now. Is the use of a gateway intended as a
> backup incase a wired network connection goes down? I have being looking
> around the net for information on this. Anyone out there using it and if so
> you can please share with me how you use this technology? Any information
> will be appreciated.

As you have seen from the other responses, there are advantages to this
(and carriers support it) in other parts of the world.  In the USA there
isn't much need for such a device since calls to cell phones and calls
to landlines cost the same amount.  In other parts of the world a call
to a cell phone is MUCH more expensive that calls to a landline.

In many parts of Europe if you have a GSM gateway then the cell phones
can become part of your Centrex system.