[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk Jobs

Robert La Ferla robertlaferla at comcast.net
Sat Jan 7 20:56:12 MST 2006

Douglas Garstang wrote:
> I'm curious why the number of jobs out there requiring Asterisk seems to be pretty low. After looking around dice, monster, careerbuilder etc, I was surprised to find no more than 3-4 employment opportunities with Asterisk throughout the US.
>
> Is it really that low? There seems to be a job of opportunities for Cisco and other vendors solutions (duh... GUI's are good... duh). I wonder if demand will increase, or am I just looking in the wrong places?

I think that the Asterisk customer profile can shed some light on this.
If you are a big company, you'll buy into an expensive system because
you can afford it and rely on it.  If you are a small company, you will
look to Asterisk as an inexpensive way to set up your telephone system.
You will also likely have staff that is willing to work with it and not
enough money or need to hire external consultants exclusively for
Asterisk.  You may have a telecom or networking consultant that will put
together the network and set up the system but Asterisk is a small piece
of it.  I'd say Asterisk is more of a "plus" in a job description but
not a "requirement".