[Asterisk-Users] Draytek Vigor 2900 & Asterisk

Faris Raouf asterisk at raouf.net
Sat Jan 7 08:45:34 MST 2006

Jonathan Attwood wrote:
> I'm in conversation with Draytek's pre-sales dept..............
>
> Here's the most recent reply:
>
> <Hello,
>
> We really don't know of anyone who has run an Asterisk server on
> a Vigor2900. There are doubtless people around, but it's relatively
> rare. Most people don't run SIP servers.
>
> Regards,>
>
> All I want to know is, if I buy one of these routers, will it break my setup
> or not - ie. assuming I set up the relevant port-forwarding, can I
> expect any one-way audio issues. Can't get a definitive answer from
> suppliers or the manufacturer, so I hope someone here uses this model
> with Asterisk.........?

I have a 2900G behind a Cisco 1720 with dual ADSL WICs in one office,
and a 2600VGi standalone in another (I don't use the 2600's built-in FXS
ports -- they aren't very good - seem noisy).

I have Asterisk servers in both offices, linked via IAX. I have incoming
  voip services going independently to both Asterisk servers.

I've had no problems whatsoever -- everything has worked perfectly. The
QoS facility in both routers allows you to reserve a certain amount of
bandwidth (in or out) for IAX and SIP and this seems to work fine though
it isn't necessary on our networks.

I'm using port forwarding on both routers to route IAX and SIP to the
private IPs of the Asterisk boxes.

But you will need to open the appropriate ports on the firewall in the
router, or firewall the Asterisk boxes and DMZ the Asterisk boxes.

However, the new Dreytek 3300 series of routers is even more
interesting. Multiple WAN ports for backup/load balancing, and optional
hardware FXO/FXS ports.

I hope this helps.

Faris.