[Asterisk-Users] OT: SIP aware firewalls?

Chris Bagnall asterisk at minotaur.cc
Thu Jan 5 09:33:17 MST 2006

> Until now I've only used IAX2 to connect to ITSPs. I've been
> toying with a SIP connection to Gizmo Project, but not yet
> successfully. It brings to mind a question. At what point
> does it make sense to consider a SIP-aware firewall such as
> those from Ingate?

You should be able to run SIP through m0n0wall quite happily - we have a
number of client sites with SIP phones offsite which connect to the * server
behind a m0n0wall box. You'll need to allow 5060 (UDP) for SIP, then an
appropriate port range (as definted in rtp.conf) for the RTP streams.

You'll obviously also need to apply any QoS rules to both the SIP and RTP
streams.

Regards,

Chris