Using *RT for HA purposes was: [Asterisk-Users] Realtime MultipleAsterisk boxes, iaxusers

Kristian Larsson kristian at netatonce.se
Thu Jan 5 02:42:53 MST 2006

On Wed, Jan 04, 2006 at 02:46:36PM +0000, Alistair Cunningham wrote:
> Peter Bowyer wrote:
> >I was thinking along the same lines, but for a dynamic setup it should
> >be possible to have SER/OpenSER load balance REGISTER requests
> >according to some strategy/metrics, and then forward INVITEs and other
> >call-related traffic to the 'right' back-end server.
> >
> >Probably lots of reasons why this is too complicated, though....
>
> One being that it must be the device that NAT phones register with that
> delivers calls to them. Otherwise, the NAT device sees a packet coming
> from an unknown IP address and drops it (for common types of NAT such as
>  restricted cone). Since SER needs to deliver calls, it really needs to
> be SER that accepts REGISTERs and holds the registration information.
> The Asterisks then send calls from phones to the SER heartbeat address
> for delivery.
>
> This is what we do in our ITSP in a box product. It gives us full
> redundancy and failover with the registration capacity of SER and the
> features of Asterisk.
Could you perhaps be as kind as to give us a few
example configurations and some more detailed
documentation on how you've done this.

I'm very interested in building something similar,
right now I'm running one Asterisk but with
estimated growth I'll need two and using a SER in
front to load balance would be a really nice
solution.

Kristian.