Using *RT for HA purposes was: [Asterisk-Users] RealtimeMultipleAsterisk boxes, iaxusers

Doug G Asterisk at isgcom.com
Wed Jan 4 07:22:43 MST 2006

I think I have 4 options.

1, Modify chan_sip.c to update a new field in sipusers realtime table
with the status of the sip peer/user.  Then use agi to dial sip calls.
Check the status field if OK then dial the fullcontact from the sip
table.  If not goto voicemail or where ever else I want the call to go..
The UA would only register to one server, so only one server *should* be
writing to the database. (If not the code will be modified to do so.)
Other servers would be read only from my AGI.

2, Use Asterisk management interface to find the status of the sip peer.
Then dial fullcontact if peer is active. Should be easy to implement.
Problem is I would have to actively poll each server in the farm.

3, Use SER as the sip router and asterisk as an application/media
server. Then all sip UA would register to the SER. Should scale higher,
but does add a level of complexity.

4, Continue to use IAX trunk to dial the other switch. Then hope that
realtime has been improved by the time I need the 3rd server.  It is a
failover but not a load balancer.

Any thoughts?   Am I completely off here?

Doug