[Asterisk-Users] iax2 wireless and Multicast

tim panton tpanton at attglobal.net
Wed Jan 4 04:28:15 MST 2006

On 3 Jan 2006, at 19:10, Francisco Pérez Botella wrote:

> Hi.
>

> I will have to manage From asterisk to clients IP-phones, so biefly
> the idea
> is to multiplex voip flows in large packets and multicast them from
> asterisk/AP to client stations. flows from client stations to asterisk
> gateway go unicast. I wonder how iax2 protocol will be good for
> multiplex
> (trunk) and multicast ??

Hmm, it won't be easy.
The IAX protocol is not multicast aware, so it is expecting a single
ack to each
full frame.  You will have to do quite a bit of work on the IAX
implementation
for it to do the right thing in that area.

I'm also not sure I see the advantage of multicast, given that normally
phone calls are 1 to 1 connections, (except conferences I suppose).
Is it a packet size problem ?

http://www.westhawk.co.uk/