[Asterisk-Users] integration with Meridian/Norstar ATA2

Darrick Hartman dhartman at djhsolutions.com
Tue Jan 3 19:31:03 MST 2006

Leo Ann Boon wrote:
> Darrick Hartman wrote:
>
>> I'm attempting to use an asterisk box with a Digium TDM01B as
>> voicemail for an existing Meridian/Norstar PBX with an ATA-2
>> adapter.  We're having problems where hangup is not always (but
>> sometimes) detected.  It's not detected probably 70% of the time or
>> more.  (The users transfer callers to an extension--caller then has
>> to navigate a menu to get to the appropriate user).
>>
>> After doing some searching the ATA-2 is not capable of providing
>> disconnect supervision.  Since this is a temporary situation (we're
>> doing some testing before switching completely to an Asterisk based
>> system), is there something I can try to improve the percentage of
>> calls that are disconnected?
>
> Perhaps you should look at what's the hangup tone provided by ATA-2 to
> your PBX. For loopstart lines from ATA, there really isn't any
> disconnect supervision - so the only way is by playing a hangup tone
> to the PBX or get your PBX to auto hangup if silence for >x seconds.

It's not that the PBX isn't hanging up, it's that when the outside
caller hangs up, Asterisk is not letting go of the line.  The voicemail
app is not getting a hangup signal (because the ATA-2 is not capable of
providing one).  We also have no documentation on the devices.  The
configuration was setup about 10 years ago or perhaps more.  This is old
equipment.  For the last 5 years or so, we've used a voice modem on the
ATA-2 line to do the voicemail.  The voice modem setup with VOCP/vgetty
was unreliable and would often times disconnect the line because it only
worked on silence detection.

I'll check in the morning what sort of tone is heard if an analog phone
is connected to the ATA-2.

Darrick

--
Darrick Hartman