[Asterisk-Users] Cell phone dock/switch as Asterisk FXO source

Mojo with Horan & Company, LLC mojo at horanappraisals.com
Tue Jan 3 11:29:00 MST 2006

We use the Dock-N-Talk at our office.  We purchased a TDM with 4 FXOs,
the first three go to PSTN and the fourth into the Dock-N-Talk. Right
now I have the users choose to use the cell service by prefixing the
outgoing string with a certain digit;  they can remember when it's
better to use the cellphone as opposed to PSTN.  I just Dial out of a
different Zap line, it's all seamless to asterisk.  All the special
features the Dock-N-Talk provides are hard to access, IIRC, and just
muddy the fact that it provides a dialtone and takes dtmf, leave it at
that ;)

The only problem I discerned was a SLOTHLIKE dial speed.  Seems the
dock-n-talk sends dtmf at a rate of about 1 tone every 800 or so
milliseconds, which adds to the overall connect time staggeringly.

B)

Brian McEntire wrote:
> Is anyone familiar with cell phone switches that allow routing cell
> phone calls through in-home wiring? One example of these devices is the
> Phone Labs Dock-N-Talk. It says it keeps your cell charged when you are
> home and connects your cell (for incoming and outgoing calls) to your
> home wiring or cordless phones.
>
> But it also has features such as allowing speed dialing and voice
> dialing from extensions if your cell phone has those features. So I'm
> not sure if the device offers a fully compatible FXO signalling.
>
> I'm currently running Asterisk with 1 POTS and 1 VOIP (via Sipura 3000)
> lines coming into Zaptel FXS modules, and then I have two FXO modules
> for two extensions.
>
> I'm thinking of doing away with the land line. Should something like the
> Dock-N-Talk allow substituting a cell phone line for the POTS line?

Mojo <mojo at horanappraisals.com>
Office Manger, Horan & Company, LLC
(907) 747-6666 x112