[Asterisk-Users] RPID Issue

Ray Van Dolson rayvd at digitalpath.net
Tue Jan 3 10:55:58 MST 2006

On Sat, Dec 31, 2005 at 10:05:19AM +0100, Olle E Johansson wrote:
> We're currently planning a new generation of chan_sip that will have a
> different authentication scheme, not based on the from: header unless
> it's a local policy to require the From: header to be the same as the
> Digest auth user name.
>
> So to summarize: The Sipura is doing the right thing, but Asterisk can
> not handle it today, since Asterisk requires a From: user name. You need
> to disable the caller ID in Asterisk, not in the Sipura.

Gotcha.  Is there an open bug on this yet?  Or should their not be one since
it is a planned feature for the future?  I'll just continue using my ghetto
patch that uses RPID for authentication info as this "works" in our
environment.

Next RPID issue.

Our Asterisk server talks to our VoIP provider via a MediaCodes SIP gateway
of some sort.  They also send us RPID headers.  Unfortuantely, in a format
that Asterisk does not appear to understand:

<sip:5305715515 at 216.229.127.55>;party=called;npi=1;ton=2, <sip:5306802843 at 216.229.127.55>;party=calling;privacy=off;screen=yes;screen-ind=3;npi=1;ton=2

As you can see it's giving us the called party info first and the calling
party info second.

get_rpid_num() appears to just check for the first ':' and grab the number
immediately afterwards.  This is resulting in caller id being set to the
called number, which really confuses customers obviously :-)

I'm guessing the above is an RFC compliant RPID header and Asterisk's
behavior should handle it?

I hacked up another patch to address this:

http://webdev.digitalpath.net/~rayvd/dist/asterisk/rpid_multiple.patch

This works fine as long as we assume that only two entries can be present in
the RPID header...

Ray