[Asterisk-Users] What is the best Dell Machine for Asterisk?

Mike Fedyk mfedyk at mikefedyk.com
Mon Jan 2 14:18:14 MST 2006

Simone Cittadini wrote:

> Mike Fedyk ha scritto:
>
>> Hiu Yen Onn wrote:
>>
>>> How big of RAM for Asterisk server? My production environment will
>>> be about 400 users in the office.
>>

>> In one server?  4GB.  And more if you can.
>>
>> I'd suggest you use several servers for 400 users unless the
>> percentage of active phones is ~10%.
>>
>> Mike
>

> (with no agi and transcoding) 80 alaw concurrent calls , cdr_mysql,
> terminating on one TE410
> Mem:   3105772k total,   733928k used,  2371844k free,    66668k buffers
> Cpu(s):   5.0% user,   5.5% system,   0.0% nice,  89.5% idle
> load average: 0.37, 0.39, 0.41

So that is ~80 calls per GB of ram which is 20% of 400 users so that
should be 5 or 6GB to handle 100% usage.

The load avg is the most important here.  You want to keep it under 1.00
or you have processes waiting which increases jitter.  Your system will
be at 80% usage with 160 calls, assuming linear scaling.

What are the specs for processor, memory and chipset that you pulled
this stat from?