[Asterisk-Users] Semi-OT: porting numbers away

Leif Neland leifn at neland.dk
Mon Jan 2 07:13:51 MST 2006

> An interesting wrinkle I'm running against is that you cannot port
> numbers from a cellular carrier to a landline.  i.e. I can't port my
> cell # to a DID on my PRI.  I am not sure if this is just a line of
> bullshit fed to me from Bell Mobility (Canadian CDMA carrier) but
> I've not had the time to really dig in.  They claim that between cell
> carriers numbers are portable but not from cell to landline.

Another wrinkle: In Denmark, it is not possible to port between landline and
cellular, and I hope it never will.

Because the caller pays for the entire call, and the rates are approx 10
times higher to call cell than land; the called does not pay for receiving
calls.

(Except when roaming to another country, then the caller pays the regular
rate "to the border", and the called pays the rest)

One can tell if the number is cell or land, and act accordingly.

Eg it is cheaper to call cell -> cell than land -> cell.

So several danish voip-providers are using cellular gateways (a box with
ethernet in and a handfull of sim-cards in), to avoid going via pstn.
The cell-providers doesn't like that (less revenue), and claim they have the
right to terminate the sim-card account...

Leif