[Asterisk-Users] Recommendations on web interface for IT staff

Chris Mason (Lists) lists at masonc.com
Sun Jan 1 06:50:20 MST 2006

I am proposing an Asterisk system of many servers to service multiple
departments in a number of locatations to a large client. They have an
IT department but their Linux skills are weak and they are likely to
face a high churn rate in staff so it would not be wise to expect a high
level of Linux expertise to be maintained. I am thinking it would be
best to do the nitty gritty glue work at the config file level myself
but have a web based interface to common tasks such as managing
extensions, adding trucks, voicemail etc. They are anxious for obvious
reasons that they are able to manage the system without having to call
me every time they need changes.
As it will be a multi-server system there will be some fairly detailed
configs to put together, so I would think a Asterisk at home installation
would not be suitable, but I haven't tested that theory so I am not
against trying it. What recommendations for web management can you make
from experience of larger systems? It doesn't have to be limited to free
systems.
I am also interested in opinions on whether you would implement one
monster server to do everything and have parts to maintain it, or would
your preference be to have one server per department and interlink them,
keeping the hardware the same and having a standby system ready to fill
in for failed systems. On one hand there is only one server to monitor,
on the other there is redundancy but also complexity. I can see
advantages in both approaches.

--
Chris Mason