[Asterisk-Users] Conference bridge dimensioning

Paul Davidson planac at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 15:47:20 MST 2006

I am currently running stock MeetMe configs at multiple locations on single
P4 hardware (512M and 2G, depending on which location).  I've seen no
problems (no technical problems) up to and over 30 attendees, all coming in
via H.323 (chan_h323), using g.711u (no transcoding).  Word of warning-
above 10 people, a single misconfigured softphone attendee can create chaos
(our fave is the guy who uses a softphone on a laptop without a headset, and
doesn't mute, combined with the guy who is listening in on his cell phone
from a train)- the noise level can become chaotic if you do not set up the
meetme in 'broadcast' mode (1-2 presenters, rest listening in).  Based on
load averages (at 25 people, on a single P4 with 2G ram and nothing else
going on on the box, we see about a 0.5 load average), there's no reason why
it wouldn't support 50 or 60 attendees before seeing problems.

-Paul Davidson
 PlanCommunications, LLC