[Asterisk-Users] Weird DTMF issue

Joshua M Thompson funaho at jurai.org
Mon Feb 27 14:09:46 MST 2006

Ok, this one has me stumped. This setup was working fine Friday and now
today it's just stopped working.

Details:

Dell 2850 running Asterisk 1.2.4. Phones are SIP phones (Cisco 7940s).
Timing is done via a WCTDM card (also tried ztdummy.) All traffic in and
out of this box to the PSTN is via IAX2.

At some point between Friday and today DTMF stopped working right.
Specifically, when you call our main # and are at the IVR, only the
first digit you dial is recognized. For example if I try to dial "81"
this is all I get for debugging:

Rx-Frame Retry[ No] -- OSeqno: 003 ISeqno: 004 Type: DTMF    Subclass: 8
   Timestamp: 02123ms  SCall: 00020  DCall: 00009 [1.2.3.4:4569]
Tx-Frame Retry[-01] -- OSeqno: 004 ISeqno: 004 Type: IAX     Subclass: ACK
   Timestamp: 02123ms  SCall: 00009  DCall: 00020 [1.2.3.4:4569]

As soon as the "8" is received the Background app stops playing as you'd
expect, but it stops recognizing any more digits, and eventually times
out and errors out with an invalid extension '8'. Even worse, if you try
to dial anybody's direct extensions (2xx) now you end up in the support
queue after it times out since the queue is option "2" (yeah I know
that's a stupid IVR design, but I had to mimic the old PBX I didn't set
up.)

I've tried this through two different call paths, one through the PSTN
and one direct from my house asterisk system (SIP/IAX2 end-to-end). It
behaves the same both ways.

The strange part is, while the "invalid extension" message is being
played by Playback() all the digits I hit *are* recognized, as they show
up in the iax2 debug output. It's only in the Background() app that this
seems to be a problem.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. This has our IVR totally
busted and I've tried everything I can think of so far.

--
Joshua M Thompson <funaho at jurai.org>