[Asterisk-Users] Covad anyone ...

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Mon Feb 27 14:02:20 MST 2006

> Has anyone done any integration work with Covad's hosted solution ?  I
> am considering Covad's hosted solution and want to be able to use
> Asterisk to develop some other apps.  Anyone else tried this ? how did
> Covad react.  I know they use MGCP.

Don't know anything about them.

> Another thing, the Cisco reseller  rep tells me if I have a bunch of
> 7960's setup for MGCP (for use with Covad) I will need to get these
> phone hooked up to a Call Manager system to get them to load a SIP image
> for the first time.  That doesn't fit with anything I have been reading
> from Cisco and other places.  Any truth to that ?

No. One of the last 7960's I bought came with MGCP and I had to jump
through hoops to convert it. Its a little different then 7960's with
other firmware installed.

Since the menues on an mgcp 7960 are totally locked, I had to use a
sniffer to detect what IP address the phone was trying to load from,
re-IP a linux box to have that IP address, and then follow the instructions
on the wiki. It upgraded just fine.

If you don't have access to anything that would sniff the packets from
the phone (to identify the IP address its trying to load from), it will
be very difficult to upgrade it.