[Asterisk-Users] nat=yes and qualify=yes viable NAT solutions?

Damon Estep damon at suburbanbroadband.net
Sun Feb 26 18:53:16 MST 2006

Looking for some feedback on whether nat=yes and qualify=yes will
provide a workable solution in many cases?

The * server is on a public address, no NAT, the UAs (sipura, linksys,
polycom) are behind various types of NAT.

Obviously port mapping in the NAT device works, but what about cases
where there is no admin access possible to the NAT device?

>From what I have read nat=yes makes asterisk look at the udp header
instead of the SIP info for the UA IP address, and qualify=yes sends
keepalives in the form of frequent SIP OPTIONS queries. I think I also
read that nat=yes enables symmetrical RTP

What I do not know is does it work in the real world?