[Asterisk-Users] Voice Over WiFi

Juergen K. Zick syscon-lists at ifa.uni-kassel.de
Sun Feb 26 16:29:47 MST 2006

Hi there,

Well, looks like you are going to start a new telephony company ,-) ...When
it is a quite dense populated area then there
should already be enough cables and operting providers ...
If you can find support by cable owners then you could indeed start to
setup some WiFi cells using their net for building up an own VPN. But these
cells will probably have just 100m radius w/o directional antennas on the
client side.
Therefore, roughly per "hotspot" you get an operation area of about 0,032
km^2  and you have about 1260 km °2 to cover (a 20km radius). Guess how
many hotspots you need and how many would overlap and create interference
??? And what happens, when somebody in this area has an own hotspot? How
should all the hotspots be managed and the traffic routed ???

Sorry, with 801.11a/b/g this is definitely not feasable at all. Probably
with bigger cells your idea could be realized using a UMTS network ... In
any case, you must have a BIG investment before that can be done (and much
money for radio licenses ...)

However, small 801.11a/b/g "islands" work out for customer access in
general with customer side directional antennas. But not with desktop or
mobile WiFi phones ...

-- Jürgen