[Asterisk-Users] Skype vs. an Xlite registered to Asterisk

hugolivude hugolivude at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 10:26:23 MST 2006

I have a bunch of road warriors who I've set up with Xlite clients.
Unfortunately
the sound quality has been intermittent at best.  Sometimes it's great other
times completely unusable.  When it's bad one usually hears harsh static
when the other party speaks or their voice gets "clipped" to static if they
speak too loudly.

Many of these users have migrated to Skype – much to my chagrin!  I'd like
to get them back using a SIP client so they can take advantage of all
Asterisk can offer.

Anyone else had trouble with voice quality with Xlite?  Any work arounds?

I was thinking about trying an Xlite client that can support G729.  Anyone
had experience with that?  Does it significantly improve voice quality?

I also read that SJ Phone is better than XLite, but is it really the client
application that makes the biggest difference or the codec?  Perhaps it's a
combination or something entirely different?  Anyone with experience with an
SJ Phone and G729 codec?

Any suggestions welcome!

Yours,
Hugh