[Asterisk-Users] fax receive using TDM400P

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Sat Feb 25 12:10:58 MST 2006

Thomas Artner wrote:

>Am Saturday 25 February 2006 19:38 schrieb Steve Underwood:
>

>>Cosmin Prund wrote:
>>

>>>I've noticed some other odd thing with rxfax. In my case I can receive
>>>faxes (using TDM400P) just fine. I can only see those faxes using Windows
>>>XP's "Fax and Picture" thingy, other applications are having trouble.
>>>Also printing those faxes is a bit odd: the preview is just fine but I
>>>always need to specify "landscape" printing for "portrait" faxes. If I
>>>print an "portrait" fax using "potrait" setting the fax is actually
>>>printed landscape, shrinked on it's vertical dimension and widend on it's
>>>horizantal dimension. Really funny! I don't know if this is a problem
>>>with the viewer application or with the tiff file itself...
>>>

>>Its the viewers. A large number of TIFF viewers are badly broken. Some
>>only show the first page. Some do not obey the standard/fine resolution
>>things properly, and get things very squashed.
>>

>i think the better way is to convert the tiff to pdf before sending the file
>to the enduser!

The funny thing most people are using Windows, and only have trouble
with this because they replace the default Windows viewer with something
broken. The default viewer may look dull and boring, but its one MS
component that actually does a decent job.

Using PDFs is one solution. The number of readers is very small, and in
the Windows world there is pretty much only one. You know a PDF will be
seen with one of a small number if reader, all of which do a fair job.
Every fool seems to think they can cook up a uniquely wonderful image
viewer, and other fools keep installing them.

Regards,
Steve