[Asterisk-Users] What business IP phone to use

Eric "ManxPower" Wieling eric at fnords.org
Sat Feb 25 10:05:37 MST 2006

mustardman29 wrote:
> I have one question,
>
> How does a large file transfer like your excel spreadsheet example, affect
> communication between an Asterisk server and SIP phone?  The only possible
> configuration I can think of that would cause a problem is if the client PC
> is sharing the same eternet cable and therefore the same physical port on
> the switch as the SIP phone.  Other than that or if your asterisk server is
> also a file server (which should never be done), I don't see a problem or am
> I missing something.

What you seem to be missing is the fact that so many people say "You
must have QoS on your LAN to make voice work well."  In my experience
that is not the case and creates needless complication on your LAN.

My general policy is "Plan for QoS on the LAN (only buy switches that
can do it), but only actually set it up if it's needed."  Of course, QoS
on a WAN is totally different.