[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk as a dedicated Analog PSTN gateway

mustardman29 mustardman29 at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 25 09:46:06 MST 2006

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone has successfully used Asterisk as a dedicated
Analog PSTN gateway to take the place of, for example, a Mediatrix 1204 or
an 8 port model?

Basically, I am thinking of using a Linksys SPA9000 as the PBX and just need
an Analog PSTN gateway for 4 to 8 FXO lines.  It does not sound like the
Mediatrix 1204 does a very good job and I figure I can build a much more
elegant solution using Asterisk and a Sangoma A200d card.  I suppose I would
also have the option of using Astrisk Voicemail since the Linksys SPA9000
cannot do that either.

Why I would want to use the SPA9000 as the core PBX instead of asterisk is a
topic for another thread.  Basically, I think it's a better solution for
some smaller businesses that need BLA and something simple that JUST WORKS.
No hard drives, no fans, no linux configuration.  If the auto provisioning
of Linksys phones works as advertised that would be a big advantage too.