[Asterisk-Users] fax receive using TDM400P

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Sat Feb 25 08:41:29 MST 2006

> So, why/how is iaxmodem/hylafax more sucessful in receiveing faxes thru tdm
> than rxfax?
>
> I havent been able to get faxes with rxfax, all faxes come in as garbage or
> broken or just the first page.
>
> Im hoping and placing my bet on iaxmodem.

The weakest link in what you're trying to do is the TDM400 analog card.
No one has been able to prove truthfully what the issue is other then
missed data flows between card and the zaptel drivers negatively
impacting _any_ analog modem signals. There has been at least some
thoughts the issue revolves around the tigerjet 320 chip and/or its
interface with the siliconlabs chipset on the card.

Part of the equation is also the North and South Bridge pci chipsets
used on various motherboards. Those individuals that have been actively
involved with creating/editing music (unrelated to asterisk) have also
found that very few motherboard pci chipsets function reliably enough
to rely on them. That's apparently one of the reason the Apple systems
are used heavily in that area.

A very small number (probably less then 10%) of the TDM400 users have
been able to make it work, but the likelihood that it works in better
then 90% of the fax attempts is very low particularily on multi-page
fax documents.

If you can make it work reliably, there is a large number of others
that would appreciate solid how-to documentation. You'll find hundreds
of postings relative to this in the archives.