[Asterisk-Users] Is Asterisk a PBX?

Colin Anderson ColinA at landmarkmasterbuilder.com
Fri Feb 24 13:45:02 MST 2006

Yes, it is a PBX. It is also a softswitch. It is also a VoIP or PSTN proxy.
It is also a messaging application platform. A fax server. An SMS relay
point. etc. It is all of this, and more. Taken as a whole, Asterisk is
greater than the sum of it's parts.

This also makes it impossible to pigeonhole Asterisk into a specific
category, since it does so many different things. How you present it to
people, IMO, depends on what they want to hear. Typical PHB's do not
understand the difference between "PBX" or "Messaging platform", so it's up
to you to present it in a manner in which they can digest. This is going to
vary depending upon the needs of the prospective adopter. You will only
confuse the hell out of them by saying "Yes, but it does THIS thing and THAT
thing as well". If the prospective adopter asks: "Will it REPLACE my PBX?"
say "Yes" - no more. If they ask: "Can I fax with it?" say Yes - no more.

Your answer will be "YES" for 90% of the questions you will get, and then
let them formulate their own conclusions.

Of course, for guys who already know the score and aren't PHB's, you can
blurt out everything that Asterisk does and once they finish crapping their
pants, they will ask you to implement it.