[Asterisk-Users] Is Asterisk a PBX?

Michael Collins mcollins at fcnetwork.biz
Fri Feb 24 13:21:51 MST 2006

> Hi everybody,
>
> This question is confusing me for some time. From selling point of
view
> to a customer, calling asterisk a PBX doesn't look right. According to
> the definitions of PBX or PABX, Asterisk is not just PBX but much more
> than that. My question is, how should I introduce Asterisk to a
> customer? I don't want to call it a PBX.
>
> Thanks
>
> Zach A.

Good question.  What does Cisco call their VoIP server product line?
Maybe you could use a synonym of that.  It's hard to pin down what
Asterisk "is" because it does so much.  Can't call it "just a PBX" and
it's certainly more than a "VoIP server."  You can't even call it a
"voice communications server" because it does more than that!  Is it a
"Communications Server," or maybe a "telecom/datacom server?"  I can see
it now, yet more acronyms!  How about this: Asterisk is an AVCS/DCS
(kinda like CSU/DSU): Audio/Video Communications Server/Data
Communications Server?

We could have lots of fun with this one... :)

-MC