[Asterisk-Users] Missing 31 DTMF tones over ZAP

Matt King m at orderlysoftware.com
Fri Feb 24 11:38:25 MST 2006

Hello,

    I'm posting this to the list in case others run into the same issue.

    I've recently been connecting * to a legacy Avaya InDEX switch over
E1 ISDN PRI here in the UK.  Everything was working OK, except that DTMF
digits were not being recognised by * when sent by the Avaya switch to
the * system.  Instead, the background noise of the call centre would be
silenced while users hit the keys on their phones - echo tests and
RecordFile produced a flatline response.

    I had at first thought that the Avaya switch may not be sending
them, however this was working when * was not in the call path.

    With further testing, I've found out that it is in fact only the
first 31 DTMF tones that are missing - those following are picked up
OK.  I've got no idea why this should happen, and have kludged a fix by
having the Avaya switch send out 31 'fake' tones before the user starts
entering data (using Translation inside Route List).   If anyone has
come across this before and knows of a 'proper' fix, or even what might
be causing the issue, I'd be very grateful for the information.

    Hope this helps,

       Matt King, M.A. Oxon.
       Managing Director, Orderly Software Ltd.