[Asterisk-Users] GPS-enabled cell phone/PDA

Juergen K. Zick syscon-lists at ifa.uni-kassel.de
Fri Feb 24 10:42:53 MST 2006

Some more recent phones have the possibility to be connected to seperate
GSM-boxes. E.g. there is a plug-in for the (older) Nokia 9210(i)/9290(i)
Communicators and most of the Symbian phones with Bluetooth support can be
connected to any Bluetooth-enabled GPS-mouse ...

I think, getting the position data with a defined accuracy is not the
problem. I'm quite satisfied with the location delivered by the CB channels
of the base stations. Crucial is indeed, what kind of location based
service you want to build and how the data gets to the server ... With
flatrate contracts regarding SMS or GPRS-data it's not even a real question
of costs anymore ...

But we slowly are getting completely OT for ASTERISK ;-) ...

For more info about "context awareness" and "location based services"
probably take some time to read what some colleagues here are doing in
research http://www.ist-mobilife.org/

-Jürgen