[Asterisk-Users] mpg123 alternative?

Faris Raouf asterisk at raouf.net
Fri Feb 24 08:56:40 MST 2006

Thank you Lee, Dave, Rich, Joel and of course also Kevin. Between your
various messages I finally understand what's happening and how it works,
and have actually converted everything to alaw, ulaw, slin and gsm and
am not actually using the mp3 side of things at all anymore. The
difference is very noticeable in terms of MOH quality except when using
g729 on the link between Asterisk and the phone - the sound quality
seems worse there.

I have two related questions though which I'm hoping someone can help with:

We use alaw, ulaw, gsm and g729 between phones and asterisk. Sox can
convert files to ulaw, alaw and gsm (not to mention slin) but what about
g729? Is there such a thing as a format that won't need transcoding when
using g729 links, or is this not something that is possible?

And what is the signed linear (slin) format used for?

Thanks,

Faris.