[Asterisk-Users] Re: Explain Yellow Alarm in a Legacy Integration

Geoff Manning geoffm33 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 07:51:24 MST 2006

On 2/23/06, Geoff Manning <geoffm33 at gmail.com> wrote:

> How would you categorize a Yellow Alarm sensed by the Asterisk side in a
> Legacy PBX integration?
>
> We have a Mitel SX200 connected to an Asterisk(1.2.4) with a TE110P.
>
> Twice today (first time in over a month) we received a Yellow Alarm on the
> TE110P.  I have been able to clear it easily by restarting zaptel.
>
> Thanks in advance!

So we had another Yellow Alarm last night and I have retrieved the logs from
the Mitel. It had a Red Alarm.

Here seems to be the order of events:

Mitel PBX:
 ³2006-FEB-24 02:44:54      T1/BRI card                 at 02 06 00
00        ³
 ³                          has exceeded the service loss frame
threshold     ³

 ³2006-FEB-24 02:44:54      Tot alarm went from No Alarm to
MAJOR             ³
 ³                          Alarm level change due to  Bay 02
trunks          ³

 ³2006-FEB-24 02:44:54      T1/BRI card                 at 02 06 00
00        ³
 ³                          removed from service & transmitting yellow
alarm  ³

Asterisk:
Feb 24 02:45:43 WARNING[24210] chan_zap.c: Detected alarm on channel 1:
Yellow Alarm

Mitel PBX (This is when we manually reset the card on the Asterisk to clear
the alarm):

 ³2006-FEB-24 05:25:45      T1/BRI card                 at 02 06 00
00        ³
 ³                          is in red alarm condition due to loss of
sync     ³

 ³2006-FEB-24 05:26:08      T1/BRI card                 at 02 06 00
00        ³
 ³                          alarm condition is now
cleared                    ³

 ³2006-FEB-24 05:26:08      Tot alarm went from MAJOR    to No
Alarm          ³
 ³                          Alarm level change due to  Bay 02
trunks

Asterisk:

Feb 24 05:26:54 NOTICE[24210] chan_zap.c: Alarm cleared on channel 1

So it seems the Mitel is reaching a loss threshold and setting yellow alarm.
Asterisk is in turn detecting the yellow alarm. I guess it's a problem with
the Mitel then. We've had problems with it in the past but they cleared up
and we hadn't had an issue in months. Nothing has changed at either end but
we've been hit with issues for the last 3 days.

Here is what I have found about the alarms:

*Red Alarm
*This is a local equipment alarm. It indicates that the incoming signal has
been corrupted for a number of seconds. The red alarm shows up visually on
the equipment that detects the failure. This equipment will then begin
sending a yellow alarm as its outbound signal. *Yellow Alarm
*The yellow alarm alerts the network that a failure has been detected. The
yellow alarm pattern has a number of different definitions. The most common
D4 definition is to set 1 bit of every channel to a ZERO.