[Asterisk-Users] What business IP phone to use

Paul ast2005 at 9ux.com
Fri Feb 24 06:51:11 MST 2006

I have seen some very expensive switches fail. Nice thing about lower
cost devices is that you can afford to have spares. If you stick to a
standard way of labeling and connecting wires you can use good open
source monitoring software to detect switch failure. If you allow people
to randomly connect to a bank of switches it is not so easy to quickly
find and remedy such problems.

The more expensive switches are good if you are going to take advantage
of the features they offer. I have recently seen situations like
employees installing things like camera and itunes software that caused
local network problems. Managed switches allowed immediate remote
disconnection of the workstations. At this customer site the fancy
switches are used for all workstations and some 3rd party
servers(security video system is a good example). However, the
customer-owned servers I installed are plugged into a $40 switch. Those
servers are properly managed so there is no need for the features found
in the more expensive switches.