[Asterisk-Users] context being ignored by inbound sip call

btb btb at bitrate.net
Thu Feb 23 19:16:33 MST 2006

On Feb 23, 2006, at 10.43, btb wrote:

> Johnathan Corgan wrote:
>> btb wrote:
>>> [7508] ;ipkall
>>> type = peer
>>> dtmfmode = rfc2833
>>> context = remote
>>> callerid = "ipkall incoming" <7508>
>>> nat = no
>> You've configured this entry as a peer, which is for dialing out,
>> versus
>> as a user, which is for incoming calls.  Solution is to change to
>> 'type=user'.
>> If you really need a peer definition, you can use 'type=friend',
>> which
>> will cause * to create both a user and a peer entry for '7508'
>> using the
>> parameters listed.  Some parameters are common to both peers and
>> users
>> so it saves space.
>> Personally, I never use the 'type=friend' method, but rather maintain
>> separate peer and user sections for outbound and inbound calls to/
>> from
>> other switches or endpoints.  This helps _me_ keep things straight;
>> others (probably most) prefer the combined 'type=friend' method,
>> though.
>
> thanks jonathan-
>
> i originally had this entry as type=user, and switched to type=peer
> after finding the context was being ignored and reading that
> type=user may/is be(ing) phased out:
>
> http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+SIP+user+vs+peer
>
> i've tried type=user again (as well as type=peer), with some
> additional parameters (mostly guesses, because i don't yet fully
> understand registration):
>
> [7508] ;ipkall
> type = peer
> host = dynamic
> dtmfmode = rfc2833
> context = remote
> callerid = "ipkall incoming" <7508>
> nat = no
> insecure = very
>
> i gather the ideal method is to know the source ip and source port
> of the connection from my peer, and include that in the sip
> config?  how can i make asterisk tell me where a connection is
> coming from?

so, in answer to my own question, this ended up being what i needed
in sip.conf:

[ipkall]
type = peer
host = voiper.ipkall.com
dtmfmode = rfc2833
context = remote
callerid = "ipkall incoming"
nat = no

the key was the host parameter.  as soon as i added that, matching
occurred and the context was honored.

thanks
-ben