[Asterisk-Users] OT: VoIP over bonded link

Jean-Michel Hiver jhiver at ykoz.net
Thu Feb 23 16:46:44 MST 2006

Colin Anderson a écrit :

>>It's stupid. Don't ever connect 2 different building with copper.
>>Just wait until you get some kind of lightening hit or electrical
>>fault, but make sure you are no where near it. Use fibre.
>>

>Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, the conduit for the provisioning of the
>new building is unsuitable for fibre (too many sharp bends) and we can't
>core out the concrete and put in a new conduit because of obstacles in the
>way that make laying new conduit impractical, so we are stuck with
>(existing) copper. We already have copper-to-copper connections of different
>types (electrical, security etc) between the buildings so a lightning strike
>is going to hose us no matter what.
>
>That aside, does anyone have opinions on my original question as to the
>suitability of bonded links for VoIP?

You might have a little bit of jitter, but that's what jitter buffer is
all about. IMHO it would be fine for VoIP but as it has been pointed on
the list it would be wise to prioritize correctly both ends of your
aggregated link.

PS: What about Wifi for your link? With a couple of well placed
high-gain outdoor antennas you could cover the distance and have similar
throughput... It could be significantly cheaper too!

Cheers,
Jean-Michel.

--
Jean-Michel Hiver - http://ykoz.net/
Découvrez la Réunion des Technologies IP & Telecom