[Asterisk-Users] How to install Zaptel?

Larry Alkoff labradley at mindspring.com
Thu Feb 23 14:55:35 MST 2006

I greatly appreciate the help at last Monday's installfest
and especially am grateful to Chris and Lenny.

Now I am reconfiguring the installfest computer to add Zaptel using the
instructions at
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+Zaptel+Installation
There is now a Digium 4 port card installed.

In regards to Zaptel there are some questions on zconfig.h.
Should I:

#define BOOST_RINGER for more ring voltage?
     I will have about 12 pots phones

#define CONFIG_CALC_XLAW for a small number of channels?
     I have two incoming dids, two incoming POTS lines
     and, for now, two outgoing sip channels.
     Is that a small number?

#define CONFIG_ZAP_UDEV for UDEV support?
     I have kernel 2.6.13 in Slackware 10.2 which uses UDEV - I _think_.

Any other things that might need changing in zconfig.h?

I'm also looking at the Digium Install Guide (one page pdf file)
which says
"you will need to have the following to compile Zaptel and Asterisk
code"  I don't know if the right stuff is already installed or not.

Full linux kernel source code (got that of course)

zlib devel
         Is this separate from the zlib files in the kernel source?
         Should I look for the zlib devel source?

OpenSSL (and headers)   Do they mean the source or
         just the executable and headers?
         I have a bunch of .h header files in
         /usr/include/openssl but no .c files.

Bison 1.875
         I appear to have Bison 1.35 but have located Bison 1.875.
         Too old?  Should I compile the new one?

My understanding is that full the compile sequence order is:

1.  compile unix-ODBC
         with ./configure  --enable-gui=no
2.  configure zconfig.h and compile Zaptel
3.  compile Pri if you have it (I don't)
4.  compile Asterisk:
         make, make install, make samples, make progdocs
         Shouldn't make install be _after_ make samples & make progdocs?
5.  Asterisk-sounds:
         make install only

What about #4 - doesn't make install come after make samples/make progdocs?

Larry

--
Larry Alkoff N2LA - Austin TX
Using Thunderbird on Slackware Linux