[Asterisk-Users] Re: Asterisk 1.2.4 IAX2 New Jitterbuffer Tuning

Noah Miller noah at rosecompanies.com
Thu Feb 23 14:45:40 MST 2006

Hi -

>> After 2 weeks of messing around with every conceivable IAX2 and
>> jitterbuffer configuration, I switched to SIP yesterday.  Complaints
>> went from 10-20 per day to ZERO.  Literally overnight.
>
> I wonder if this is an ILBC frame size issue of some sort?  Seems odd.

I've got to add my name to the list here.  We're just using GSM over our IAX
links, and our jitterbuffer values look like this:

maxjitterbuffer=1000
resyncthreshold=1000
maxjitterinterps=10

For the most part the new jitterbuffer actually yields much better quality
than the old jitterbuffer, but when the resyncs happen, it's like the call
has a lot of trouble getting get back on track.  It flounders for quite a
while, with badly broken audio, sometimes up to 20 seconds before coming
back.  I've tried hanging up as soon as event starts happening and then
immediately calling the same number, and the channel comes back with crystal
clarity.  So it seems to me like there is something askew with the resync.

- Noah