[Asterisk-Users] IAXModem/Hylafax problem

Nicholas Kathmann nicholas.kathmann at kathmannconsulting.com
Thu Feb 23 10:51:33 MST 2006

Bob McDowell wrote:
> I think I'm very close to getting IAXModem and Hylafax going, but my
> current inbound hylafax logs show this:
>
> Feb 23 10:09:37.98: [ 3638]: MODEM <Empty line>
> Feb 23 10:09:37.98: [ 3638]: MODEM TIMEOUT: waiting for v.21 carrier
>
> Two questions -
>
> 1) Does anyone know what step I missed here?  (I.e. please help!)
> 2) Is there a document I should be working off of?  Google doesn't seem
> to think so...
>
> Bob McDowell

Is the above error message coming from IAXModem, Hylafax, or Asterisk?
I haven't seen it before.  The following is all that is required to get
the IAXModem, Hylafax, and Asterisk working.  There may be better ways,
hopefully I'll find out with you on this list.

This is what I have, and it works like a charm.

/etc/asterisk/iax.conf

[iaxmodem<Your extension>]
type=friend
host=dynamic
regexten=<Your Extension>
secret=<Your password>
bandwidth=high
callerid=<Your caller ID>
context=<Your context>

/etc/asterisk/extensions.conf

exten => <Your Extension>,1,Dial(IAX2/iaxmodem<Your extension>)

/etc/iaxmodem-cfg.ttyIAX

device          /dev/ttyIAX
port            4569
refresh         300
server          <Your Asterisk Server IP>
peername        iaxmodem<Your Extension>
secret          <The same password you put in the iax.conf>
cidname         Fax Service
cidnumber       <Your called ID>
codec           slinear

/var/spool/hylafax/etc/config.ttyIAX (this file comes already made with
your IAXModem binaries)

CountryCode:            1
AreaCode:               <Your area code>
FAXNumber:              +<Your fax number>
LongDistancePrefix:     1
InternationalPrefix:    011
DialStringRules:        etc/dialrules
ServerTracing:          0xFFF
SessionTracing:         0xFFF
RecvFileMode:           0600
LogFileMode:            0600
DeviceMode:             0600
RingsBeforeAnswer:      1
SpeakerVolume:          off
GettyArgs:              "-h %l dx_%s"
LocalIdentifier:        "<Your Identifier>"
TagLineFont:            etc/lutRS18.pcf
TagLineFormat:          "From %%l|%c|Page %%P of %%T"
MaxRecvPages:           200
#
#
# Modem-related stuff: should reflect modem command interface
# and hardware connection/cabling (e.g. flow control).
#
ModemType:              Class1          # use this to supply a hint

ModemResetCmds:         AT+VCID=1       # enables CallID display

Class1AdaptRecvCmd:     AT+FAR=1
Class1TMConnectDelay:   400             # counteract quick CONNECT response
Class1RMQueryCmd:       "!24,48,72,96"  # V.17 fast-train recv doesn't
work well

CallIDPattern:          "NMBR="
CallIDPattern:          "NAME="
CallIDPattern:          "ANID="
CallIDPattern:          "NDID="
# Uncomment these if you really want them, but you probably don't.
#CallIDPattern:          "DATE="
#CallIDPattern:          "TIME="

/etc/inittab

IAX:2345:respawn:/usr/local/sbin/iaxmodem ttyIAX
 >/var/log/iaxmodem.stdout 2>/var/log/iaxmodem.stderr
mo:2345:respawn:/usr/sbin/faxgetty ttyIAX

/etc/aliases

FAXMaster: <Your email address>

This is only for if you want to have the faxes dispatched to different
people depending on the extension they dial:

/var/spool/hylafax/etc/FaxDispatch

case "$DEVICE" in
        ttyIAX)         SENDTO=<Your alias>;;
        tty1IAX)        SENDTO=<The other alias>;;
esac

follow the same format as in the /etc/aliases file for any aliases you
set up, make sure to run newaliases afterwards

Thanks,
Nicholas Kathmann, CISSP
Kathmann Consulting, LLC