[Asterisk-Users] OT: VoIP over bonded link

Colin Anderson ColinA at landmarkmasterbuilder.com
Thu Feb 23 10:30:47 MST 2006

I have to provision several dozen * users to a seperate building on our
campus in the same subnet. Ordinarily, I'd just run a gigabit cat6 cable to
another switch if it doesn't violate the 100 metre rule, but this building
is several hundred metres away from my backbone. My only option for cabling
to the remote building is copper. My plan is to provision them with a Linux
bridge with 4 NIC's: 1 gigabit to the backbone, and three bonded together as
a single interface (90 mbit aggregate), then plugged into this dealie:

http://www.blackbox.com/Catalog/Detail.aspx?cid=425,1423,1424&mid=4946

At the remote building, the reverse: another Linux box with 4 NIC's that
de-aggregates the link to a gigabit connection on a switch, and then to the
wall plates. I'm pretty sure this will work for data no problem, but I'm a
little concerned about latency on a timing-sensitive applicaiton like VoIP.

Anyone have experience with VoIP over bonded link? Is there a gotcha? Is
this a stupid idea? On my whiteboard it looks fine!