[Asterisk-Users] context being ignored by inbound sip call

Johnathan Corgan jcorgan at aeinet.com
Wed Feb 22 20:37:48 MST 2006

btb wrote:

> [7508] ;ipkall
> type = peer
> dtmfmode = rfc2833
> context = remote
> callerid = "ipkall incoming" <7508>
> nat = no

You've configured this entry as a peer, which is for dialing out, versus
as a user, which is for incoming calls.  Solution is to change to
'type=user'.

If you really need a peer definition, you can use 'type=friend', which
will cause * to create both a user and a peer entry for '7508' using the
parameters listed.  Some parameters are common to both peers and users
so it saves space.

Personally, I never use the 'type=friend' method, but rather maintain
separate peer and user sections for outbound and inbound calls to/from
other switches or endpoints.  This helps _me_ keep things straight;
others (probably most) prefer the combined 'type=friend' method, though.

-Johnathan