[Asterisk-Users] Important: Application DIALPLAN STANDARD/GUIDELINES needs to be established.

Asterisk asterisk at crafted.com.au
Wed Feb 22 15:02:19 MST 2006

Hello Asterisk community.
We have a small User-group in Melbourne Australia.
Recently I brought up the issue of STANDARDS for dialing Applications on
a PBX.

This generated some interest but also the fact little has been done on
this topic.
Below is a rundown of our THREAD. (start from bottom and go up)

I myself, feel this to be an important issue.  With Asterisk being so
programmable, anything can be done.  But should it.  I would like to see
some type of guide line or standard for extension layouts.

We have not been able to find any reference to this.  However, I hope
the greater Asterisk community has, and if so, please share.

Thanks,
James

Well, it comes down to personal preference I think, we use *1 for VM,
and check CLID to take a caller directly to their VM box if it exists,
vairous other internal functions from *1-9, other externally accessible
functions from *10-19, conference rooms *20-39, etc...  We've had no
problems, but then we run a controlled set of end-user hardware.  I
suppose for a rollout with unkown/mixed hardware some research is
required to determine the reserved functions.

So, yes, two ideas might be to have a prefix (that is ensured never to
be used in real number space!) for all functions, the other would be to
have a number to dial that drops the caller into a context containing
all features, possible even with voice prompts...

Just idle thoughts...