[Asterisk-Users] Voice conferencing server capacity

Richard OSS oss_richard at rogers.com
Wed Feb 22 13:45:41 MST 2006

Thank you very much. Will go ahead and build the system. Hope everything goes smoothly.

  richard

BJ Weschke <bweschke at gmail.com> wrote:
  On 2/22/06, Richard OSS wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We are building a conference server using a Dell PE 2850 3GHz with 2G
> memory.
>
> This conference server will be used to hold a large conference with 30-50
> simultaneous users in a conference room. This large conference will take
> place two days per week for 3 hours each day. When a large conference is
> going on, no other conference room will be created.
>
> The rest of the week, several small conferences will take place (5-10
> simultaneous users) using 5-10 conference rooms.
>
> Is the Dell PE 2850 3GHz with 2G memory up to the task? If not, will adding
> another processor solve it?
>
> These entries from the dimensioning portion of the Wiki gives me hope that
> id does
> http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+dimensioning
>
> Capacity of MeetMe: With 28 persons on a Pentium II, 300MHz, 128 MB vmstat
> shows 70% idle.
> "I have anywhere from 15, to a peak max of 30 traders all using the same
> meetme conf during the day. My * is running on a old 4U 500Mhz machine (dual
> board, one processor installed now). With the exception of of a few problems
> from software sip phones, our implementation has been relatively problem
> free.
>
> I just want to get more opinions from others especially those who have built
> conferencing servers recently.

Speaking from experience, I'd expect that this setup is more than
adequate. You may want to disable hyperthreading though on the procs
if you can. There really isn't an advantage to having it enabled as
the "additional CPU" has no FPU.

--
Bird's The Word Technologies, Inc.
http://www.btwtech.com/